Enter content here
Enter content here
Enter content here
2009 North Carolina FPS State Bowl:
What You Need to Know
William G. Enloe High School 128 Clarendon Crescent Raleigh, North Carolina 27610
The State Bowl is the culminating activity of North Carolina Future Problem Solving's year-long program. Our goal is to recognize excellence and creativity in problem solving and select representatives to the International Conference.
As guests of the North Carolina Future Problem Solving Program (NC FPS) and Wake County Public Schools, participants are expected to conduct themselves in a courteous and honorable manner. We will not tolerate destructive behavior to persons or property or use of alcohol or illegal drugs. Individuals violating this code will be asked to leave immediately and will be assessed for any damages. Please review the Participation Contracts and Authorization of Treatment of Minor with your students and return the signed forms to the check-in table at the state bowl. Do not mail them to the state office.
All competitions and ceremonies will take place at Enloe High School in Raleigh, North Carolina. This is a regular school day for Enloe, so please enter the building between 3:30-3:45 pm. Coaches should pick up team registration packets and turn in the Participation Contracts at the registration table. Guests need to register at the guest check-in table and receive a name tag. They may also purchase $5 meal vouchers for the Friday pizza party. Participants must be seated in the school Media Center promptly at 4:00 p.m. for the opening ceremonies.
Nametags must be worn by everyone. Observers (parents, guest, and siblings) as well as volunteers must also be registered on-site during the competition. Parents and guests should register and pick up a name tag at the registration table.
After the opening ceremonies that begin at 4:00 pm, booklet teams will be dismissed to assigned rooms to complete competition booklets and CmPS teams will work on their on-site display.
After dinner, there will be a short meeting in the cafeteria and Junior and Middle Division teams will receive a bag of prop materials and quotations for their Action Plan presentations on Saturday morning. The Senior Division Action Plan spontaneous presentations will begin after the Friday evening gathering at approximately 7:45 pm.
On Saturday, March 28, Senior teams must attend Action Plan Presentation evaluation training at 8:30 am. Junior and Middle teams may continue to prepare for their Action Plan presentations in the same room where they completed their booklet from 8:30 am-9:45 am. Teams are responsible for cleaning up all materials and leaving the room the way they found it. Teams must be seated in their assigned spaces for presentation competition at 10:00 am. The last event of the state bowl, the Awards Ceremony, will begin at 11:45 am.
Student participation at all bowl levels requires paid registration. Each participant who has received an invitation to NC FPS State Bowl will be registered by their coach online at . Hotel information will also be found on the website. Guests, parents, and/or coaches can reserve a hotel room online or call Holiday Inn Crabtree Valley Hotel directly at 919-782-8600 and request the NC FPS rates of $79.00 plus tax per night. Coaches should register teams online at www.nc-fps.org. The deadline for registration is Friday, March 13, 2009.
All registration takes place in advance of the bowl. These items will be provided for team booklet participants when they arrive at Enloe High School:
1. A sealed package with copies of the state bowl future scene for each team member;
2. One complete, blank FPS booklet for each team
3. An Action Plan form on NCR paper so that each team will have a copy of their underlying problem and action plan to help them prepare their presentations of Action Plan
4. Name tags for FPSers and coaches-For security reasons, nametags should be worn at all times
5. A form to make last-minute changes or corrections of your registered teams
6. A map of Enloe High School
NC FPS will supply teams and individuals with blank booklets and copies of the future scenes. Coaches should bring a supply of no. 2 pencils, scratch paper or post-it notes (if desired), dictionaries, and thesauri.
First place winning teams in each grade level division (Junior, Middle, and Senior) automatically earn a bid to the International Conference. The International Conference will be held May 27-May 31, 2009 at the Michigan State University in Lansing, Michigan
The state bowl is governed by the 2008-2009 Rules of Competition found on the NC FPS coach's CD. Please familiarize yourself and your teams with these rules.
State Bowl Essentials
· Casual dress is the norm for both participants and coaches for all events at the state bowl.
· Friday night pizza party is included in the registration fee for participants. Parents and guests can purchase a meal voucher at the registration desk or pay $5.00 at the door.
· A limited number of 2009 NC FPS State Bowl T-shirts will be available for sale at the state bowl.
· State Bowl trophies will be awarded for first and second place winners in team booklet competitions. Each member of winning FPS Booklet teams will receive a trophy. One plaque will be awarded to the first and second place group winners of the presentation competition. First and Second Place CmPS teams attending State Bowl will receive a team trophy. Every participant will receive a certificate.
Community Problem Solving
· CmPS teams who attend Friday will be provided with a display board. They will create a display from pictures, art supplies, and materials they bring with them to convey the importance and impact of their project.
· The CmPS projects will be displayed on Saturday, March 28 from 9:00 am -11:45 pm at Enloe High School. North Carolina students will share their display and scrapbooks and provide information and answer questions about their project. The teams have an opportunity to showcase their projects in a public forum and for state bowl participants, parents, coaches, and friends to better understand and appreciate the outstanding work of our Community Problem Solvers.
Presentation of Action Plan
Each booklet team must present a four-minute presentation of their action plan in competition. Senior Division teams present a spontaneous action plan presentation on Friday evening, and Junior and Middle division teams will perform their planned presentations on Saturday morning. Even if one or two students are granted permission to leave after the problem solving competition, the rest of the team must still present their action plan.
NC FPS will supply each team with "Presentation of the Action Plan" materials. We will distribute the actual supplies on Friday evening after dinner so Junior and Middle Division teams can use Friday night for preparation and planning of thoughtful skits. The Senior Division teams, using only program-provided site props and a quotation, will give a spontaneous presentation of their Action Plan on Friday evening. The Senior presentations will be held immediately following the Friday evening gathering. Teams of seniors will exercise their problem solving skills by judging the Junior and Middle Division presentations on Saturday.
Although students are limited to using the supplied materials from NC FPS, teams are allowed to bring the following "tools": scissors, color markers, one roll of tape, staplers and staples, pens/pencils, up to ten sheets of colored/ construction paper (9 x 12 or smaller), one roll of paper towels (any kind/size), one box of aluminum foil (25 feet size). Future Problem Solving will not provide these items which are helpful for putting together costumes and props. Complete rules and evaluation guidelines for presentations will be posted on the website before the bowl.
Students who wrote the QP booklet have won the right to compete; substitutions are discouraged. However, if a student on the qualifying team cannot attend the bowl, the coach may replace that member with another student who has participated on a FPS team this year. If that team goes on to win the state title, the students who participated at the bowl will represent North Carolina at International Conference. The state director must approve replacements of more than one team member.
Questions and Contact Information
If you have additional questions about the NC FPS State Bowl, please contact NC FPS State Director, Sandra Horton.